The Texas Poison Center Network (TPCN) has seen a 70% increase in calls related to cleaning products and disinfectants. We remind residents of the importance of proper use and handling of cleaning products and disinfectants during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To keep your family safe, follow these safety tips when you use or store cleaning products:
- Follow the instructions on the label when you use and store household chemicals.
- Don’t mix products. This can cause deadly gases or cause a fire.
- Store products in their original containers.
- Keep all household products and medicines locked up, out of sight and reach.
- Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container securely after each use. Child resistant does not mean child proof.
- Use child-resistant locks on cabinets and cupboards containing medicines, toiletries, household cleaners, and garden products.
- Wear gloves or goggles when you use these materials.
- Take time to teach children about poisonous substances.
Resources for COVID-19 Information