Here are tips for when you are babysitting.
- Take all local emergency phone number with you to baby-sit including the POISON HELP number 1-800-222-1222.
- Take a note pad to write down instructions from the parent and a phone number where they can be reached in case of an emergency. You can also click here to print our Babysitter Note Pad if you'd like.
- Make sure things that cause a poisoning are out of reach. (If you are not sure what to do, click here for tips Poison Prevention Tips)
- Watch the children at all times. It only takes a second for a poisoning to occur.
- Follow these simple steps if you suspect a child has been poisoned:
- Take the poison away from the child or move the child away from the poison.
- Check the baby's mouth. Quickly but gently remove any pills with your finger.
- Take the poison with you and tell an adult.
- If there is no adult around, call the POISON HELP number 1-800-222-1222.
- Do what the Poison Center tells you.
- Tell the parents what happened and what steps you have taken.
- Help parents made the house safe so the baby doesn't get poisoned again.
- Have fun babysitting, but be responsible.